The 3-bay English Barn evolved in England, was brought to New England by the early settlers, and came to Maine in the mid-1800's. The barns were handcrafted of oak and the frames connected with hardwood pegs known as tree-nails. The central bay was for threshing and he side bays for animals and hay storage.
The example is a barn located on the Jordan Farm in the farmland of coastal central Maine. The documentation included following images: